International Students

The Regina Flying Club welcomes students from all over the world.  Southern Saskatchewan enjoys good flying weather throughout the year and the Regina International Airport (CYQR) is a great environment for learning and obtaining excellent flying experience.

For more information download the Regina Flying Club ISP Student Guidebook here.


The Regina Flying Club does not have an affiliated residence but there are hotels, motels or apartments nearby that have reasonable room costs. Regina is the capital city of our Province and the cost of living is reasonable and comparable to other small cities. The Regina Flying Club will be happy to assist you in finding accommodation.

Accommodation may also be researched through classified advertisement section of the Regina Leader Post newspaper.

Converting Licenses & Ratings

To find out what credit is given in Canada for a license or rating acquired outside of Canada, go to the following link to the Transport Canada Canadian Aviation Regulations website. Click on the license or rating that you wish to convert, i.e. Private Pilot License – Aeroplane, go to “Credits” and then to “Credits for Foreign Applicants”. This section will tell you what you will get credit for with a foreign license or rating.

If you would like information on converting licenses in plain English, go to the above Transport Canada website and click “Search”. Type in “foreign applicants” and enter…then click on “Foreign Applicants – Flight Crew Licensing – General Aviation”. This will give you the steps and requirements to convert most foreign licenses.

For the conversion process from Canadian to U.S. or U.S. to Canadian click here.

The Regina Flying Club will help you with clarification of the regulations but the final interpretation and determination is done by Transport Canada. Our nearest Transport Canada office is in Winnipeg. The phone number is 1-204-983-4341. When you arrive in Canada you will have to show Transport Canada the certified log book, your medical and the license and rating you wish to convert. To convert a rating such as Multi-Engine or Instrument you must have a Canadian Pilot License to attach the rating to.

Health Services

A medical for the Private Pilot License must be taken from a Transport Canada approved doctor. For the Recreational Pilot Permit a medical authorization from your family doctor will do. It is recommended that the medical should be taken before your training begins or as soon as possible after training starts to ascertain you meet the medical standards. Your approved medical must be received before you can fly solo. If you wear glasses, take a copy of your latest eyeglass prescription to the medical examiner.

NOTE: Please make sure that the name on your medical is EXACTLY the same as on your birth certificate, passport or immigration document!

If you are from the local Regina area:

  • DR. J. S. MCMILLAN Landmark Medical Centre, #9 – 4150 Albert St. 306-352-9609
  • DR. Y. MARX #107-54 Ominica St. W. Moose Jaw – 692-6200
  • DR. P. SURI #415 – 2125 11th Avenue 306-525-8355

If you are from other than the local area:

Go to this site on the internet to select the country where you wish to get a Canadian Aviation Medical.

Next, select the city or all to find where the nearest aviation medical examiner is practicing. It is recommended that you do your Canadian Aviation Medical prior to commencing training to ascertain you meet the medical standards. Once completed, a medical certificate will be sent to your home address. It may take 4 to 6 weeks to be processed. No solo flights can be authorized until you have received your Aviation Medical Certificate.

Walk-In Medical Services

The following Medical Clinics provide walk-in patient services and after-hour clinics.  In an emergency dial 911.

  • Quance East Medical Clinic (306-522-2278) 49-2223 Victoria Avenue East.
  • Albert & Parliament Primary Health Care Centre (306-757-0303) 3992 Albert Street, Regina, Saskatchewan.
  • Pasqua Hospital (306-766-2222)
  • General Hospital (306-766-4444)

Health Services

International Students temporarily residing in Saskatchewan may apply for a Saskatchewan Health Services Card to be eligible for health benefits.  Application may include the student’s spouse/partner and all dependents under the age of 18.

To be eligible for a health service card you must:

  • Have a valid study permit.
  • Be registered full-time in a designated education institution.
  • Have a Saskatchewan residence.
  • Provide proof of identification (e.g. passport.)

Information regarding health benefits and applying for a health service care may be accessed from Saskatchewan e-Health websites:

The City of Regina is located within the Regina Qu-Appelle Health Region.  The health region serves the City of Regina and the surrounding rural community.  Through the health region website the following information and links can be accessed.

  • List of medical clinics
  • List of hospitals
  • “Find a Doctor” – list of health clinic locations where doctors are accepting new patients.
  • Patient advocate services.
  • Health Line (email and telephone 811)
  • List of programs and services including mental health services.

Additional health care coverage may be purchased through private health care insurance plan providers.  Plan coverage includes dental care, vision care, and prescription drug benefits.

Study Permit Application

Information on how to apply for a Study Permit is available on the Government of Canada Immigration and Citizenship website in English and French.

A minimum of Grade 12 as demonstrated by a High School Diploma and transcript is required to enroll in the ISP Regina Flying Club pilot training program.  Translated copies will accompany the submitted credentials and transcripts when the originals are not in English.  These documents must be submitted and accepted prior to the Letter of Acceptance being issued.

One of the primary requirements for study permit eligibility is proof o acceptance to study with a designated school in Canada.  The Regina Flying Club will provide you with a letter of acceptance to meet this requirement.  In addition to proof of acceptance you will be required to provide proof of citizenship and financial support.


The Regina Flying Club is located at the Regina (CYQR) International Airport approximately 5 kilometers from the city centre/downtown.  The RFC is easily accessible by vehicle from any location in the city.

The Regina International Airport is serviced by several airlines. The two main Canadian airlines servicing North America and abroad are Air Canada and Westjet . Visit the Regina Airport Authority website  for a schedule of all the airlines serving Regina.

The Regina City Transit Service does not have service to the airport but a close proximity service stop is located approximately 1.5 km from the RFC hangar location.  Public transit information is available from the City of Regina website.

The Regina Airport is adjacent to the City of Regina on the south west side of the city.  By car, you can typically travel anywhere in the city within 20 minutes.