Converting Licenses/Ratings

To find out what credit is given in Canada for a license or rating acquired outside of Canada, go to the following link to the Transport Canada Canadian Aviation Regulations website.
Click on the license or rating that you wish to convert, i.e. Private Pilot License – Aeroplane, go to “Credits” and then to “Credits for Foreign Applicants”. This section will tell you what you will get credit for with a foreign license or rating.

If you would like information on converting licenses in plain Engish, go to the above Transport Canada website and click “Search”. Type in “foreign applicants” and enter…then click on “Foreign Applicants – Flight Crew Licensing – General Aviation”. This will give you the steps and requirements to convert most foreign licenses.

For the conversion process from Canadian to U.S. or U.S. to Canadian click here.

The Regina Flying Club will help you with clarification of the regulations but the final interpretation and determination is done by Transport Canada. Our nearest Transport Canada office is in Winnipeg. The phone number is 1-204-983-4341. When you arrive in Canada you will have to show Transport Canada the certified log book, your medical and the license and rating you wish to convert.
To convert a rating such as Multi-Engine or Instrument you must have a Canadian Pilot License to attach the rating to.